1 or 2 separate mattresses?
This is one of the major questions facing couples when deciding on a new mattress. Below we sum up the ‘pluses’ and ‘minuses’ for each choice, it is up to you to weigh them up.
1 large mattress
- impression of a larger sleeping area (certainly advisable for smaller beds)
- no ‘gap’ between the 2 mattresses
- a large difference in weight between partners is no longer a problem, you can get most mattresses at De Slaapadviseur with 2 different densities in one large cover, so you don’t have a ‘gap’ while each still has his or her own comfort
- is usually slightly cheaper
- you are more likely to feel your partner moving during the night
- this is more difficult for an adjustable base, since bases in a double bed are always in 2 sections
- more unwieldy (heavier)
2 separate mattresses
- you are less likely to feel your partner moving during the night, which is better for sleep quality
- perfect for electrically and manually adjustable bases, each partner adjusts his or her own base to watch TV, to read or to sleep.
- easy to handle (lighter than 1 large mattress)
- the famous ‘gap’ in the middle (a central zip can be had as an option)
- usually slightly more expensive